Thursday 1 September 2011

Pygmy shrew

The only species of shrew found in Ireland is the pygmy shrew.

This little animal is the smallest mammal in Ireland.  It differs in appearance from a mouse by its long pointed snout. Shrews are active day and night they are noisy agressive little creatures. They don't hibernate.  Their saliva is toxic and when they bite a large insect or animal like a mouse their bite kills in minutes.  They eat earthworms, beetles, caterpillars, spiders, flies and woodlice. 

Shrews are solitary, aggressive animals, guarding their territories jealously and screaming shrilly at intruders. Shrews reproduce in spring and summer and up to five litters of seven or eight young may be born during this time. The young are fed for the first three or four weeks after that the fend for themselves.  Shrews live for only a year.

This summer when I was emptying the compost heap I found four little baby shrews.  I finished the compost and put the babies back where I found them.  I saw the mother come back and after about a half hour they were all gone.  I think the mother moved them to a safer place.


Cute or what.

No comments:

Post a Comment